Sunday, February 24, 2008

It's been a while...

It's been a while.

Two months, actually. Two months since I've last posted here. But no, it hasn't been two months of inactivity. It's been two months of busy schoolwork, followed by a period where I was slightly discouraged by the lack of traffic and the lack of response on this blog.

I don't really know what I was expecting back then. The idea of blogging was exciting, at first. The idea that someone out there could - and, perhaps, would - constantly read what I was writing... that was exhilarating. I remember reading through books on magic theory and jotting down thoughts, treating magic theory as an academic treats any other kind of theory. There was this excitement that came with doing something new.

But now, I realize that it was just December.

December's an interesting month. December's the end of a year... the start of a new one. It's when people make resolutions they know they're going to break. It's when people gather with friends and family, some of whom they really don't want to see.

And, for me at least, it's winter break.

New things always happen at that time of year. I tend to pick up new hobbies or embellish on older ones. I tend to learn magic. I tend to start stories. I tend to start blogs.

And then, as time passes by, I tend to... stop. It's never been hard for me to start stuff. It's always been hard to follow through. But now, sitting in bed with my laptop in front of me... I think I've finally learned something. It doesn't matter whether or not anyone's reading this.

All that matters is that I'm writing here.

The ideas here are enough. I can read this, and I can talk to myself. My fingers, tapping away at the keyboard, can tell me more about what's in my head than what a silent room can do. And, so, I write.

Yeah, maybe I'm writing for you. Maybe I'm writing for someone else in another part of the country. Maybe I'm writing for other magicians. Maybe I'm writing in the name of magic and in the name of theory. Maybe I could gather all my posts together sometime far in the future and make myself a book. I could hope that I do that, and I would be happy if I did.

But really, it doesn't matter. In the end, I'm just writing for me.

So here I am. Writing. Again.

No comments: