Thursday, December 27, 2007

Magic Pockets

Back when DOS was still popular, I played this two-dimensional game that involved a kid with an entire world inside his pockets. He lost his skates (or something)... so he dove into his pockets, and thereby forever wandered around in this new world... without his pants.

Ok. An interesting image... but not funny. Still, he did wander around this new world, defending himself from little slimey monsters with the inexhaustible supply of fruit that he had. Essentially, he had every magicians' dreams - bottomless pockets.

I remember envying guys for the HUGE pockets that they have in their cargo pants. Even their jeans pockets seemed bigger than mine. And, in professional wear, guys' suits have all these hidden pockets everywhere. On the other hand, you'd rarely find a pocket in a dress or even in "woman's suits." Sure, we have purses... but purses are a hassle to carry around. And, if you watch fashion trends, you'll notice that purses are getting smaller and smaller.

Regardless of the fashion faux pas, I used to walk around with lumpy pockets - filled with cards and everything else. I used to wear jackets and sweaters just for the extra pockets, somewhat glad that it's always cold where I live. But, lately, my pockets are emptying. Instead of carrying six decks of cards with me everywhere, I'm only carrying one.

Sometimes, I don't even have a deck of cards on me.

Does this mean I'm getting lazy? I don't know because I'm still definitely prepared to perform. I always have coins on me, there's always a spare pen lying around, there's always paper... and, in the end, I always have my hands. I always have my words.

Is my focus shifting from close-up card magic to mentalism? I don't think so. Card magic is still my forte, and I always bring them when I plan to perform. When I plan actively to go out and perform, I have at least a deck of cards with me - if not more. But when I don't plan to perform - when someone wants to see something and I don't have cards on me - I still do something (if the magic bug calls). I would twist my arm, go through a pen and pen cap routine, play with a coin, or... if the mood strikes... get a piece of paper for some mentalism.

And yet.. if I had the choice and the deck in my pockets, I would still use them.

I'd like to think that this means I'm transforming from someone who's always prepared to perform - someone who strives to appear like a magician - to someone who can just perform spontaneously. Maybe it's a step forward. Maybe it's a phase.

And I wonder... am I the only one who's experiencing this? Is this a sign of a plateau - a pause - in my magic education? Or have others gone through this as well? Are others going through it?
Any thoughts?

No comments: