Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Close Encounters of the Urban Kind: The Magician's Assistant

Anecdotes from... the Old Boy's Club?
The Magician's Assistant

First: A quick disclaimer. The majority of magicians I meet are very friendly, very supportive, and generally awesome people. That said, the world of magic is secretive, closely guarded, and primarily male. Every so often, little things happen that make me squirm - honest, genuine mistakes I think, but micro-aggressions nonetheless.

As another female solo street performer told me, people will automatically assume that she is in another person's act if she's standing next to another male street performer. The same would never be said of two male buskers standing next to one another.

Woohoo! This will be exciting. I get to meet other magicians!

Yup yup! This introduction is real.

Pleasure to meet ya!

Er... I am over here. Over here!

And, uh, yeah. I've got my own show.

MY OWN SHOW!

And and and... I know you didn't say that I'm the assistant.
But if we were two guys, you totally wouldn't assume that we perform together.
Or maybe you're assuming that we perform together cuz we're both Asian?
...That's not any better.

Words now. Verbalize those thoughts, Felice.

...

It is now... just awkward.
But YOU CAN STILL TALK TO ME! I am still here.
Not invisible.

*sigh*

No comments: